Looking to venture in the paranormal world in your fiction? Have we got a prompt for you! Have fun with this little piece. Tell us about it when you’re done, if you like. Who knows? Maybe you’ll have the next best-selling YA on your hands.
Focus on characters more than setting, with natural (or supernatural!) reactions and responses as you write. Veer away from the normal tropes or use them to tell a new tale, turning the tropes on their heads. Let the ideas, the characters, and the settings inspire your creativity, even if just for a paranormal short story exercise.
- You are a vampire; it’s been your secret. You can walk in daylight.
- Your best friend is a witch, also a secret. She gave you the enchanted lapis lazuli stones that enable you to walk in the daylight.
- The love of your life has just been bitten by a werewolf.
Your context: You all belong to a traveling circus.
Looking for more writing prompts? Check out these other ideas from MockingOwl Roost staff.
- Writing Prompts – Fantasy Fiction
- Writing Prompt – Science Fiction
- Writing Prompt – General Fiction
- Writing Prompts – Cozy Romance
- Writing Prompts – Action/Adventure
- Writing Prompts – Cozy Mystery
- Writing Playlist as Your Writing Prompt
Cyndi (she/her) is the mama of two grown children and Oma to eight grandchildren, all of whom she adores. She’s a biker chick with a lady’s heart and thirty-nine tattoos that tell some of her life story. Not just a cancer survivor, she’s a life thriver. She also loves painting, and finds the process similar to solving math equations. She has been a writer/poet since the age of nine, her first poem being about God’s Hands. She wrote for Christian Biker Magazine for five years.
You can follow her on Facebook for more inspiration on a regular basis. Email her at: email@example.com